Monday, August 15, 2011

Update

Just wanted to give a little update on poor, broken-armed Preston. It has been 5 weeks and 2 days since the break and he should have been getting his cast off about now. Originally they told us 4-6 weeks but that kids are usually more towards the 4 weeks since they heal so fast. But for whatever reason Preston's isn't quite ready. When they set the bone at the hospital it didn't line up exactly right, there was a 5 degree angle. They said it wouldn't be a problem, but I think that might be why it's taking a bit longer to heal. But at the appointment today we did get to go from a long arm cast to a shorter one.

Long cast:

Short cast (he still chose blue, his current favorite color):

They took his cast off and sent him for an x-ray before putting the new one on. I thought it was pretty funny because he didn't know what to do with his arm. He hadn't been able to move it for 5 weeks so it probably felt a bit weird. He made me hold his hand palms together and rested his arm along mine just like we did when I carried him into the ER.

After looking at the x-rays they decided we have at least 2 more weeks in the cast. I am mostly just bummed about missing the whole summer swim time. That is one of my favorite things to do in the summer and instead I have just been sweating away at playgrounds early in the morning and hiding indoors the rest of the day. Hmmm... that sounds kind of selfish. Just keeping it real!

1 comment:

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Poor kid! At least he gets more doctor suckers with two more weeks left!!