Sunday, August 28, 2011

kitty kitty!

We got a kitten. It's kind of weird because I wasn't expecting to get one and it was a total spur-of-the-moment decision. I'm not really a cat person and haven't wanted to get a pet just yet because I think of it as another thing to take care of and clean up after. But Lars has been wanting a pet ever since we moved and he kept trying to talk me into it. One day at work he had seen someone giving away free puppies in a parking lot so he called me and told me to go get one, or at least go look. I wouldn't even go because I knew I would't be able to resist a cute puppy. Then a few weeks ago he heard about an adopt-a-thon going on at the Boise Humane Society because they had so many kittens that needed homes. So he talked me into taking Kenna to just go look at them. I thought I could resist a cat but apparently not. I came home with Olive.
I have mixed feelings for her. Driving home she pooped in her carrier (which was super stinky) and cried/meowed and tried to escape the whole way and I started wondering what I had just done! But the kids LOOOVE her and she is pretty entertaining. She is really great with the kids too. She doesn't claw or bite them and puts up with them pestering her. Kenna likes to follow her around the house saying "hi kitty!" and lays on her belly to look right in her face. It's pretty cute. Lars actually loves her to. When we first got her, he was worried since it was her first time away from her mommy cat, so after I informed him there were no animals allowed in my bed, he actually slept on the couch with her for the first 2 nights. If that's not kitty love, I don't know what is. :)
The things I don't like about her are that she jumps onto the kitchen table whenever we're eating (super annoying), the smell of her litter box (even when it's clean) and she seems to really like me, even though the feeling is not completely mutual, and is always getting in the way. I usually have my laptop on my lap when I sit on the couch and she thinks it is her personal platform to dance around on and presses all sorts of keys that mess things up. I have some capris with drawstrings that hang off the legs and she always attacks me when I wear them. She also likes to attack my hair. I was trying to paint the other day and my bangs were hanging in front of my face and she would not leave me alone! I trip on her a lot, she tries to run into places before I can shut the door, like the refrigerator, my craft room, and my bedroom. And when I try to work on something, she looks at me with her cute little face saying "hey, wouldn't you rather be playing with me?"
So that about sums up all the bad things, but despite all that complaining, I do actually kind of like her.

1 comment:

MommaBurt said...

Dad says that when she jumps on the table (or other annoying things) you can squirt her with the squirt bottle. It only takes a few times and she will stop. Don't let the kids see you or they will try it and you will be in real trouble. (Or should I say Olive will be in trouble?) Good luck.