Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ouch!

Last night Preston broke his arm. We were at Lars' parents house and he was jumping on the trampoline. There was a couch pushed up to it for the kids to get off and on and Preston jumped from the tramp to the back of the couch but didn't quite make it and fell backwards onto the cement. I knew as soon as I saw it, it was definitely broken. It was bent all funny and did not look right. So I scooped him up and we rushed to the ER.

It broke my heart to watch him suffer and not be able to help. Getting the IV was the worst part. I couldn't even tell him it was almost over as the first 2 IVs had burst his little blood vessels and they were making a third attempt. By then he was hysterical and was screaming and crying and asking me to make them stop, not to let anyone touch his arms and to carry him out of there. It was awful. After the IV incident I had a bit of a meltdown and walked to the corner of the room so Preston wouldn't see me crying but I heard him call out "don't leave me mom!" so I had so suck it up and be strong for him.

Once the morphine kicked in and he calmed down things got better. But as they were getting ready to re-set the bone they thought it was strange he was still talking and opening his eyes. They were giving him more and more drugs but then realized the IV had slipped so it was going to his tissue rather than straight to his blood. So they fixed that and things went well but it took a while for the drugs to wear off afterwards, and he was throwing up as a side effect. We finally got to take him home around 11pm. Today he watched a lot of TV and took a 4 hour nap and now seems to be mostly back to normal.

Here he is ready to come home


He watched a movie as we waited for the drugs to wear off. He insisted on holding the speaker up to his ear

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That sounds horrible for both you and Preston. Hope he heals fast. Poor guy!

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

You poor things! That sounds awful. Good luck getting him to go to his next well check up :)